Great for any occasion, these gluten and dairy free Cinnamon Buns are sure to warm your heart and permeate your kitchen with the warm smells of the season. They’re a great recipe to make with friends, kids, family members, as the rolling out and decorating process lend themselves to being creative.
With all the stress in day to day life, I find cooking and baking to be such a wonderful way to tune into the present and focus on a process that engages me on multiple levels. You’ll have to let me know if you experience that with baking too?
These would make a very healthy No-Strings-Attached treat being made from all whole food ingredients. The sweetness comes from a little honey and dates in moderate amounts.
My ABSOLUTE favorite thing about these cinnamon buns is that so many of the ingredients have amazing benefits. So, while it’s a delicious treat it’s also helping your body!
Cinnamon helps lower blood cholesterol, helps regulate blood sugar (which helps with cravings), can alleviate headache and migraine symptoms, and boosts both cognitive function and memory.
Walnuts are excellent sources of multiple nutrients – like healthy fats and protein – and phytochemicals, vitamins, and antioxidants that promote health benefits like cardiovascular health, weight maintenance, and stress reduction.
Raw honey is a rich source of antioxidants, enzymes and minerals. It even contains several amino acids, including tryptophan which can help promote rest and relaxation.
- 2 T coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg*
- 1 T honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 T coconut flour
- 1 tsp pure baking soda
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup pitted dates, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 T honey
- 2 T coconut cream
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Mix together the coconut oil, egg, honey, and vanilla in a medium sized bowl. Add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir well to combine.
- Transfer the dough onto a sheet of wax or parchment paper. Cover with another sheet of wax paper and roll out into a long rectangle.
- Remove the top sheet of wax paper. Drizzle the dough with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon. Top with the chopped walnuts and dates.
- Roll the dough into a log using the wax paper to keep it from sticking to your hands.
- Place the covered log in the freezer to harden for 15 minutes.
- While cooling the dough, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- After 15 minutes, remove the log from the freezer and slice it into individual pieces, about 9 or 10 rolls.
- Place onto a baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.
- While the rolls are baking, make the glaze by stirring together the honey, coconut cream, and cinnamon.
- Once the rolls are golden, remove from the oven and drizzle with glaze.
- Serve warm and enjoy!