Do we have a treat for you today!
Our athlete Jana Underwood has come with a quick and easy workout routine that is guaranteed to get you into shape this summer! Just click the video below and let’s get started!
1. Elevated Pushup
- Face an elevated surface such as a bench.
- Place your hands on top of the elevated surface. This will allow your body to be elevated.
- Lower yourself until your chest almost touches the bench/surface as you inhale.
- Using your pectoral muscles, press your upper body back up to the starting position and squeeze your chest. Breathe out as you perform this step.
- After a second pause at the contracted position, repeat the movement for the prescribed amount of repetitions.
Variations: Another way to perform this exercise is to use an exercise ball to elevate your body instead of a flat bench. This adds a level of difficulty due to the instability provided.
2. Bulgarian Split Lunge
- Find yourself a step, bench or any other contraption that you can rest a foot on, it needs to be about knee height.
- Get into a forward lunge position with torso upright, core braced and hips square to your body, with your back foot elevated on the bench. Your leading leg should be half a metre or so in front of bench.
- Lower until your front thigh is almost horizontal, keeping your knee in line with your foot. Don’t let your front knee travel beyond your toes.
- Drive up through your front heel back to the starting position, again keeping your movements measured.
Repeat five to 10 times then swap to the other leg.
3. Squat With Side Kick
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width distance apart, feet parallel. Hold your hands out in front of you for balance. Bend your knees, lowering your hips deeply into a squat, keeping weight back in your heels.
- Then rise back up, straightening the legs completely and lifting the right leg out to the side, squeezing the outer glute.
- As you step the foot back into shoulder-width distance position, squat down again. Then stand up and do a side leg lift on the left side. Lower the leg back to the starting position.
- Repeat this pattern for one minute.
4. Surfer Burpees
- Start on your stomach, with your hands by your ribs.
- Push your upper body up to a standing position then jump onto your feet, bringing one foot forward like you’re standing on a surfboard.
- Jump up with your hands in the air, then immediately return to the starting position.
- Repeat, alternating sides for as many times as you can in 30 seconds.