The food you eat when you’re dieting tends to be on the light side, but if you’re looking to build muscle and strength then the last thing you want is something unsatisfying. The best word to describe this sandwich is HARDY. This steak sandwich has the carbs and protein to satisfy your hunger and give you all the energy you need to help build up your body, and I’m not going to lie…it tastes AH-MAZING!
- 100g grass-fed sirloin steak
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- 50ml balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt and black pepper
- 1 small red onion (sliced into very thin, long slices)
- 5g (a few shavings) parmesan
- Handful of your choice of dark, leafy greens
- 2 tsp. reduced-fat honey mustard dressing
- 2 slices whole meal ciabatta
1. First, heat a large, non-stick frying pan to a medium heat with 1 tsp. coconut oil.
2. Add the thin red onion slices to the pan with the sugar and fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the balsamic vinegar, turn the heat to low and pop a lid on. Cook for around 20 minutes more.
3. Once the onions have softened and begun to caramelize, it’s time to cook the steak. Place a heavy-based pan on a high heat with 1 tsp. coconut oil. When the pan is very hot and just about begins to smoke, add the steak. The length of time you cook it is down to how you prefer your steak. For a 1” thick steak, we recommend the following frying times:
Blue: around 1 minute on each side
Rare: around 1.5 minutes on each side
Medium-rare: around 2 minutes on each side
Medium: around 2.5 minutes on each side
Well-done: around 4 minutes on each side
4. Once cooked, remove the steak from the pan and set aside on a plate to rest for a minute or two. Turn the heat down to medium.
5. Pop the ciabatta slices into the pan the steak was cooking in and toast on each side for 1-2 minutes. Once toasted, remove the ciabatta and place onto a plate. Thinly slice the steak against the grain and assemble across the first slice of ciabatta. Add the caramelized onion, greens, and parmesan, and top with reduced-fat mustard dressing.
Note: You can also grill your steak if your prefer