When a recipe allows me to use as few dishes as possible I’m way more likely to try it. That’s why I’m so excited to share this one with you! This classic dish is easy to prepare and so tasty!
This blog is all about being healthy, and that doesn’t change when it comes to our recipes. But when it comes to stuffed bell peppers why tinker with a classic? They’re already pretty dang healthy!
You probably grew up eating Mom’s delicious stuffed bell peppers, and you loved them then just as you love them now. After all, Mom had a secret technique that’s worth passing on to the next generation: she always roasted the peppers before stuffing them. Your quick-cooking attempts never tasted quite like Mom’s because you skipped the pre-roast and instead boiled the peppers. Another bonus of roasting over boiling? You’ve got one less pot to clean! Mom was right—and not only because she said so!
5 red bell peppers, top sliced off and seeded
1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1 shallot, minced
8 oz. tomato sauce
1-1/2 cups cooked brown rice
1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400. Line baking sheet with parchment paper of foil.
- Place empty bell peppers on baking pan and roast for 25 minutes until soft.
- Meanwhile, brown beef or turkey with shallot. Remove any excess grease from pan with towels or paper towels.
- Stir in tomato sauce, rice and spices. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Remove bell peppers from oven and carefully fill each bell pepper with 3/4 cup of stuffing.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.