Trying to fit in a workout while taking care of your kids is close to impossible, and the downtime you do have is usually spent trying to catch up on the never-ending housework or on those shows you’ve been missing out on. Why not combine the two and save some time? Here are five easy and quick workouts you can do while you clean or binge-watch.
Squats While Folding Laundry
- Place laundry basket in front of you beside a table or the couch (wherever you’d like to place the folded items).
- Squat down and select an article of clothing. Make sure to keep an eye on your form.
- Stand back up and place the folded clothing on the table.
- Repeat process until the basket is empty.
Calf Raises While Doing the Dishes
- Stand a few inches from the counter with feet shoulder width apart.
- Slowly raise yourself onto your tiptoes, focusing on the muscles in your calves, hold for three seconds and slowly lower your heels back to the ground.
- Repeat until the dishes are done.
Lunge Your Way to Your Next Task
- When moving from room start with your right leg, as you do so lower your hips toward the floor so that both knees are at a 90-degree angle. Your left knee should be pointed toward the floor, but not touching.
- Use your right leg to lift yourself back to a standing position. As you do so bring your left leg forward and repeat step 1.
- Complete as many lunges as you can or until you reach your destination.
Pushups While Spot Mopping
- Grab two damp rags, one for each hand. Get down on the ground with arms extended and shoulder-width apart.
- Lower yourself to the ground, elbows at a 90-degree angle, and as you are coming back up slide your right arm out in a wide circle to wipe the floor clean. Repeat with the left arm.
- Change areas when you have sufficiently cleaned that spot of the floor.
Wall Sits While Catching Up on Your Shows
- Pick your favorite show and a wall where you can see your TV.
- Place your back against the wall and slide down until your legs are at a 90-degree angle. Like you’re sitting in a chair.
- Hold this position for 30-60 seconds. Stand to rest for 60 seconds and repeat for the duration of the episode (or for as long as you can).