I’m a big fan of easy-to-make delicious treats that pack a whole food punch!
These gluten-free, dairy-free bites of chocolate delight are not only super simple to make, they are also packed full of nutrients that will do your body a whole lot of good.
Cacao boasts 40 times the antioxidants of blueberries, and is the highest plant-based source of iron available. Raw honey is a rich source of antioxidants, enzymes and minerals. It even contains several amino acids, including tryptophan which can help promote rest and relaxation.
Unlike refined sugar, honey is made up of fructose, glucose, water, pollen, magnesium and potassium. Its about 40% fructose and 30% glucose, and is metabolized more slowly than refined sugar. This is helpful in reducing the blood sugar spike and insulin response we get from eating many packaged and processed treats that are loaded with refined sugar.
- Raisins, which I love adding for that chewy texture, are full of antioxidants, can aid digestion, and help boost your levels of fiber, iron, and calcium. They also promote healthy teeth and gums!
- Walnuts and almonds are both excellent sources of multiple nutrients – like healthy fats and protein – and phytochemicals, vitamins, and antioxidants that promote health benefits like cardiovascular health, weight maintenance, and stress reduction.
- Flaxseed provides the awesome Omega 3 essential fatty acids that also help with heart health, as well as a solid dose of fiber and protein.
- Cinnamon has anti-inflammatory properties, is loaded with antioxidants, and is known to lower blood sugar levels, reduce heart disease risk factors, and improve oral health.
Dark Chocolate Raisin Cookie Dough Bites
Yield: 6-10 cookie dough balls, depending on how big you make them
You will need: food processor, measuring cups, measuring spoons
T = Tablespoon; tsp = teaspoon
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 2 T honey – best if it is not hardened + 1 T cacao powder
- 3 T raisins
1. Combine almonds, walnuts and flaxseed meal with salt and cinnamon and blend in a food processor until a fine meal forms.
2. With the food processor running, drizzle in honey, until dough starts to bind.
3. Turn off the processor and add raisins; pulse to combine.
4. Create balls by the spoonful to serve.