One of the biggest challenges we face during the summer is what to prepare for summer outings. Between parties, picnics, trips to the beach and camping it’s difficult to stick to your diet. Especially when the typically summer fare isn’t exactly the healthiest.
But just because you’re having fun that doesn’t mean your diet has to suffer!
These sandwiches are simple, tasty and perfect for outings! Even better is the fact that these sandwiches are even tastier if prepared ahead! This sandwich actually gets better with a little time in the fridge. The flavors marinate and the bread absorbs the pesto and roasted tomato flavor. I consider myself lucky if there are leftover sandwiches the next day.
The Best Picnic Sandwich
This quick sandwich made with roasted tomatoes, pesto and burrata is the perfect picnic meal, but also can be used as an appetizer or for a lunch or dinner at home. Make it in advance so the flavors can meld.
- 1 loaf crusty French bread such as La Brea French bread
- 1/2 cup pesto, homemade or store-bought
- 1/2 pound burrata cheese
- 10 good-sized basil leaves
- 10 roasted tomato halves
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced salami (optional, you can also substitute for any other meat)
- 8 ounces jarred roasted red peppers, drained
- Using a serrated knife, slice the loaf of bread in half lengthwise. Spread the pesto on the bottom half of the loaf. Spread the burrata on top of the pesto. Arrange the basil leaves down the length of the loaf and put half a roasted tomato on top of each basil leaf. If you are using salami, layer the salami on top of the roasted tomatoes. Layer pieces of roasted pepper as the final layer.
- Top the layers with the top half of the bread loaf and insert toothpicks down the length of the sandwich about 2″ apart. The toothpicks will hold the layers together. Slice between the toothpicks and serve.